Besides routine analyses for the operational needs of the hospital departments, the lab offers various tests related to the diagnosis and treatment of reproductive medicine and medical oncology cases.
The lab team consists of highly motivated staff with vast experience and qualifications who strive to provide fast and reliable services to the patients of Nadezhda hospital.
Types of tests
- Complete blood count (CBC) with 10 or 24 parameters
- Differential blood count
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR): children and adults
- White blood cell count
- RBC morphology
Prothrombin time and INR, fibrinogen, АРТТ, D-Dimer, Anti-factor Xa activity
- Estradiol, Progesterone, LH (luteinising hormone), FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), SHBG, testosterone, free testosterone
- Thyroid hormones: fT3, fT4, TSH
- TAT and МАТ
- АМН – Anti-Mullerian hormone
- Total beta-HCG – blood pregnancy test
- Prenatal biochemical screening at 11-13 g.w.: FreeHCG and PAPP-A, PLGF (preeclampsia marker)
- CA 15-3
- CA 125
- CA125, HE4 and ROMA index
- CA 19-9
- HCG – tumour marker
Urinalysis and sediment (fresh urine specimen required)
- Glucose (blood sugar)
- Uric acid
- Total and direct bilirubin
- Total protein
- Enzymes – transaminases (AST and ALT), GGT, alkaline phosphatase, creatine phosphokinase (CPK), alpha-amylase, lipase, LDH (lactate dehydrogenase)
- Serum iron
- Total iron-binding capacity (TIBC)
- Electrolytes – sodium, potassium, chloride (NA, K, Cl)
- Total calcium, ionised calcium
- Lipid profile – total cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL-cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol
- Total protein in 24-hour urine or single-void urine sample
- Calcium in urine
- Inorganic phosphate in urine
- Potassium in urine
- Sodium in 24-hour urine
- Creatinine in urine
- Uric acid in urine
- Urea in urine
- Amylase in urine
- Vitamin В12
- Vitamin D (25-OH)
- Folic acid
- CRP (С-reactive protein)
- Procalcitonin (PCT)
- Interleukin-6 (IL-6)
- Hepatitis В express test – HBsAg
- Hepatitis С express test
- Syphilis express test
- HIV express test
- Hepatitis А – IgG and IgM
- Hepatitis А – IgM
- Cytomegalovirus – IgG and IgM, CMV –Avidity
- Toxoplasmosis – IgG and IgM, Toxo – Avidity
- Rubella – IgG and IgM
- Herpes simplex (HSV) 1 and 2 – IgG
Or staff is trained to use personal protection and special products to guarantee the safe collection and processing of infectious biological samples.
The lab also offers the option to collect specimens and send them for analysis in external partner labs where more uncommon tests are performed.
Prices and payment
Many tests are included in the hospital inpatient stay price or as part of medical bundles, and the patients need not pay per test. Some tests are covered by public funds through the National health insurance fund and the state fund for Assisted reproduction or by private health insurance funds. Tests of hospitalised patients that are part of the clinical pathways are not charged. An up to date price list and information on the tests offered at Nadezhda hospital can be found HERE.
You can pay for your tests at the Cashier’s desk or online via your patient profile. You can access your patient profile from the hospital website via the Online services menu. The login credentials for patients (user ID and password) are provided in person at the hospital: www.nadezhdahospital.com – Profile – Login.
If you do not have the login details for your online profile, please get in touch with the Registration desk for assistance.
Requirements for patients before lab tests
Most lab tests typically require blood samples to be collected under the so-called ‘standard conditions’. This means the following:
- Between 7 and 10 in the morning
- Fasting for 12 hours before the test, no smoking or coffee allowed
- When testing thyroid hormones – fT3, fT4, TSH – if the patient takes any thyroid medication, blood should be drawn before the pill
- In the sitting position, after 10-15 min. of rest, strenuous physical activity before the blood draw must be avoided.
NB! Most lab parameters can be analysed at any time during the day, as long as your doctor considers the possible effects of medication, diet, physical activity, etc. and interprets the results accordingly.
След ставане от сън пациентът уринира и изхвърля първата за деня урина. С това започва 24-часовият период на събиране. Използва се добре измит съд, в който се събира ЦЯЛОТО количество отделена урина за 24 часа. Този съд в интервалите между доливането на порциите урина се съхранява в хладилник. При събиране с консервант, например 10 мл. 6N HCl за изследване на калций в 24часова урина, той се осигурява от лабораторията и предварително се поставя в контейнера.
При всяко добавяне на нова порция съдът с урина внимателно се разклаща (без да се образува пяна). На следващата сутрин първата сутрешна порция се добавя към общото количество. Урината се измерва точно, количеството се записва и в лабораторията се донасят около 10 мл. През деня на изследването пациентът не пие повече от обичайното количество течности и не пропуска нито една порция урина.
At least two days before the blood draw and/or the start of urine collection, you should avoid eating any of the following: bananas, tomatoes, aubergines (eggplants), watermelons, pineapples, grapes, plums, raisins, avocados, kiwis, walnuts, oranges, coffee, tea, chocolate, cacao, red wine, vanilla, red peppers. Some medications may need to be temporarily stopped. Consult your treating physician and discuss whether it is necessary to stop some of the medicines you are taking should be stopped before the test.
Lab test results
You can acces your lab test results here:
The standard time for results reporting is two hours. Some tests involve additional processes and take longer to complete. Ask the lab technician who does your sample collection when the results for your tests will be reported.
You can check your test results in your patient profile on the hospital’s website. To access your profile, you need a user ID and password, which can be received at the Registration desk.
Your test results can be appropriately interpreted only by your treating physician, as they are familiar with your condition, and the test results will aid them in the diagnosis and monitoring of the effects of treatment applied. Lab test result interpretation and guidance based on it by a third person bears risks of misunderstanding and could even endanger your health.
Clinical lab FAQ
The time for accepting Outpatient test requests at Nadezhda hospital is limited to the office hours of the Registration desk and Cashier’s desk. Tests for hospitalized patients and emergency patients are done 24/7.
The time for accepting Outpatient test requests at NadezhdaMedical center in Paradise center from 8:30 am to 8:30 ч. pm.
In contrast to some other blood tests, you don’t have to come fasting in the morning for beta-HCG but can do it any time during the day.
An essential requirement for these tests is that the blood draw is done fasting in the morning; drinking coffee or smoking before the test is not allowed. If you are taking any thyroid medication, you should wait for your morning pill until after the blood sample has been collected.
- The test takes about two hours.
- On the test day, you should come to the lab no later than 9:30 in the morning, fasting. 9:30 is the latest hour the test can begin.
- The test begins with a fasting blood draw to measure the blood glucose levels. After that, you will be given 75 g of glucose powder, which the lab technician will add to 300 ml of water in front of you. You have to drink the glucose solution in small portions over the next 10 minutes, not all at once.
- One hour after taking the glucose, you will have the second blood draw at the lab to measure 60-min glucose levels.
- After one hour more, on the 120th minute, the third blood draw is done.
- During the two hours of the test, you should NOT take any food or drink, smoke, or engage in intensive physical activities.
After getting up in the morning, the patient voids and disposes of the first urine for the dayа. From that moment onwards, the 24-hour collection period begins, i.e., if you start at 08:00, you should collect all urine till 08:00 on the next day. A clean container with at least 2 l capacity should be used to collect the WHOLE amount of urine for the next 24 hours. In the time between urine portions, the container should be stored in a refrigerator at 2-8°C. On the next morning, the first voided urine is added to the collection. Urine is measured, the quantity is recorded, and about 10 ml is brought to the lab. On the day of 24-hour urine collection, the patient should stick to their regular diet and drink and not try to take more water and liquids than usual. They should be careful not to miss adding a urine void to the container.
You can access your test results online via your profile on the hospital website. You will receive your User ID and password from the Registration desk.
You should consult your treating physician for results interpretation.
- Urine culture and other microbial tests (these are done at the Microbiology lab);
- Cervical smear and histopathology results (done at Histopathology lab));
- Semen analysis (done at the Andrology lab).